COVID-19: Tips To Stay Healthy During The Coronavirus Outbreak
The novel of coronavirus—aka COVID-19—has been dominating news features as the episode keeps on spreading around the world. As the number of reported cases in Malaysia continues to rise [673 cases to date], with two death cases reported from the coronavirus yesterday.
Last Thursday, The World Health organization [WHO’s] officially announced the coronavirus as pandemic. The declaration has expanded weight on governments and leaders around the world to come up with emergency action plans and called for self-quarantine if need be. And on 16th of March, our Prime Minister himself, Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin announced a restricted movement order starting 18-31 of March.
In the US and UK region, people are rushing to their nearby markets to load up on essential non-perishables and household items. And while we are still nowhere close to a global crisis, it’s still very important to comprehend what to do in this situation, especially when it has already landed in our country—and could possibly spreading through our neighbourhood.
(Source: South China Morning Post)
First and foremost, remember to remain calm, here are steps you should take to limit the risks of getting affected.
- Wear a mask. Protective masks can decrease your chances of breathing in toxins from the ”polluted” environment through coughs or sneezes, and help prevent hand-to-mouth transmissions.
- Wash your hands. One of the best things anyone can do to stop the spread of diseases is thoroughly washing your hands with soap and warm water.
- Carry hand sanitizer and anti-bacterial face wipes. Frequently clean your hands with alcohol-based hand rub or hand sanitizer. Wipe off your phone screen with wet wipes to prevent it spreading all over your face.
- Consume more plant-based food. Follow a healthy diet. Which means avoid eating raw or undercooked animal products. Eat more colourful vegetables and fruits.
- Ginger vitamins. Ginger is a spicy, aromatic root with many healing properties—antibacterial, antifungal and antiviral. It is a powerful remedy to fight cold, flu and migraine pain.
- Do check ups. As soon as you start to feel funny or uneasy, seek medical help. If the symptoms are prolonged and serious, consult a doctor.
In outbreaks of other #coronaviruses (MERS & SARS), person-to-person transmission occurred through droplets, contact and fomites, suggesting that the transmission mode of the 2019-nCoV can be similar
— World Health Organization (WHO) (@WHO) January 27, 2020